Thing 4: Homework or no homework or some homework?

http://blog.mrmeyer.com/?p=133

In the above blog post Dan Myer supports his own decision to not assign homework. I am intrigued by this idea and I find his points valid. I recently spoke with a second grade teacher who shared that her entire elementary school no longer assigns homework. Her school administration(?) has decided that it is important that children have time to play and spend time with their families; to just be children.

Is homework truly a symptom of poor classroom management (time and behavior) as Mr. Meyer states? Or, is it the extra practice that some students need to be successful? If we have efficient transitions will our students no longer need time to do their work at home?

A comment was shared about having homework in three categories: practice, regular and challenge. All students complete the regular homework and then choose one of the other two categories. Differentiated homework. Mr. Meyer states that he now assigns two problems because he does not see his students every day and they need to keep their skills current. The two problems fall into two categories: tough and tougher – same value. Does this mean that this conversation is no longer current?

I want to know more. Do we give homework with just cause or is it because parents expect it?

Blogging would allow students to do what they seem to do naturally and could be connected to the assignments in class. This does allow for great collaboration, conversation, and challenge with students and teachers interacting. 21st century homework, if you will. A “new version of school”!